Thursday, April 27, 2017

The Way I Know my Own Daughters

For Lily, Aurora and Sophia

There are birds in my heart
With wings that thrum
Like Spanish guitars
Their appetites lead me
To seek out flowers
And rivers and, at night
Any surface that reflects
The moon

One bird sings to me
About love and tells me
Her boy is as graceful 
As a dancing horse
Tells me that music
Comes from the air
All around him
Like a harmonica
Caught in
A hurricane

The other bird sings only
Of sadness and shame
She makes her song from
Safety pins and the blade
From a pencil sharpener
Her voice draws her own blood
As she sings a death song
To her father over
The telephone

Without my birds I
Wouldn’t know rivers or
Flowers or where to
Find the moon when it
Lays upon the ground
And I would not know
The music of love and pain
The way I know
My own daughters

-- Mark Borczon

No comments:

Post a Comment